Hasanpaşa Inn (Xana Hesen Paşa)
This historic space of travel and trade is located on Gazi Avenue, directly across from the Great Mosque. This is the second biggest extant inn in the city. The inn was built between the years of 1572 and 1575 by Hasan Pasha, son of Vezir-î Azam Sokullu Mehmet Pasha. It has two stories, a generous cellar, and a courtyard. You enter through a low archway and a tunneled vault into the courtyard, and in the center of the courtyard is a beautiful, unadorned fountain covered by a dome and supported by stone columns. To the sides are a number of porticos covered by tunneled vaults.
Parts of the inn are built of black basalt stone and parts from limestone. By a feat of optical illusion, alternatively lined black basalt stone and limestones on the walls make the mosque look longer than it actually is. There are two historical markers on the western and southern gates of the inn. The basement level of the inn was used to store the caravan animals that traders brought with them. The Polish traveler Simeon, who came to Diyarbakır in 1613, described the inn as having enough space to easily house 500 horses.Thanks to restorations carried out in the past few years, the Hasanpaşa Inn has become one of the most favored haunts for locals and foreign tourists in Diyarbakır. Many of the old rooms have been converted into charming breakfast restaurants, cafes, and shops selling all sorts of souvenirs and local crafts.
Hüsrevpaşa Inn - Deliller Inn(Xana Delîlan)
Located on Gazi Avenue at the Mardin Gate, this is the largest inn to have survived into the present. The structure was commissioned by the Ottoman provincial governor of Diyarbakır Hüsrev Pasha and built between the years of 1521 to 1527. It aimed to serve the trade caravanserais moving across Anatolia to and from points in Hejaz, Syria, Iran, and India. The inn’s second name derives from the fact that it used house a number of deliller, travel advisors of sorts for those caravans heading to Mecca on religious pilgrimage.The inn is two stories high and made of black basalt, white limestone, rubble stone, and brick. There is a wide courtyard in the center with a fountain, surrounded by guest rooms and stables. The naves between the arches stretching from east to west are covered through and through by cradle vaults. Stairways at and across from the entrance and lead to the second floor, where behind a portico resting on sturdy buttresses are a number of narrow guest rooms with rather small doors. Having undergone a number of renovations throughout the years, the inn now serves as a hotel, the Kervansaray Hotel.
Sülüklü Inn - Kazancılar Inn (Xana Qazanciyan) This inn is located just off of Gazi Avenue, on Kazancılar Street. Its name derives from the leeches (sülük) taken from a hole in the courtyard and used for medicinal purposes.
Hanilioğlu Mahmut Çelebi and his sister Atike Hatun had the inn made in 1683. Once a three-story structure with 18 rooms on each floor and a stable in the basement, today only one story survives. Behind the inn, there is said to be a secret passage. Rumor has it that this passage led to the prison compound inside the Inner Fortress, and that it was thrice used as an escape route by men sentenced to death, leading the authorities to close the passage. After recent restorations, the space has been transformed into an old-Diyarbakır-style cafe.
Deva Public Bath(Hemama Dewayê)
This 16th-century public bath house in located along Gazi Avenue, between the Balıkçılarbaşı intersection and the Mardin Gate. On account of its size, it’s also called “Big Bath”. According to an old story, a camel that went missing from a traders inn was found after a few days at this bath house, and for this reason was called Deve Baths, or Camel Baths. Because it is also seen as a place of healing, many people call it the Deva Baths, or Curative Baths. This bath has interesting architectural details: Built of basalt and rubble stone, it has a rectangular plan, and an eight-cornered dome that rests on an octagonal base. The changing section at the entrance is very large. The transition to the domes are made by squinches. The cold section is covered by two domes and a half-dome.
Behrampaşa Public Bath(Hemama Behram Paşa)
Commisioned by Behram Pasha between the years of 1564 and 1567, this bath house is located in the neighborhood of Xançepek Neighborhood. The structure is also known as the Pasha Hamam or Pasha Public Baths. You can enter the building from two entrances, one on the south and one on the west. Its conical dome rests on an octagonal frame. The entrances to the dome are reinforced with pendentives, and above is an octagonal skylight. The building is entered through a pointed arch
Vahapağa Public Baths (Hemama Wehab Axa)
This 16th or 17th century structure, while no longer in use, is open to visitors. You’ll find it when coming down Gazi Avenue from Dağkapı (i.e. the Mountain Gate) to Balıkçılarbaşı. It’s on the right side of the street, just before you reach the Great Mosque. The entryway to the baths is built of cut stone slabs, while the rest of the structure is of cobblestone. The baths’ interior is shaped like a cross, and has three spaces, a cold water section, a hot water section, and a semi-secluded bathing area. The outer chambers are covered by pendentives, while the middle section is covered with a dome. The bathing spaces have a semi-open courtyard (iwan) and a marble pool.
Kadı Public Bath (Hemama Qazî)
It is unknown exactly when or by whom this public bath opposite the Parlı Safa Mosque was built. Made of cut-stone basalt, it has a beautiful architectural structure. Bath is divided into three sections of hot water, cold water and changing sections. Its dome rests on an octagonal base that features openings for
Melik Ahmet Public Bath (Hemama Melek Ahmed Paşa)
Located on Melik Ahmet Avenue, this bath house was built between the years of 1564 and 1567 by the very same Pasha after whom the street was named. Designed for a rectangular plan, the bath house was built of cut basalt and rubble stone. It is covered by an octagonal dome that rests upon an eight-sided frame. In the center of the dome is an eight-point lamp.